Aim of the competition
The aim of this competition is to reinforce the need and beauty of our daily research in all fields through images, and to make it more accessible to a broad audience. It represents a unique opportunity for SRUK researchers to capture their work and share it in a different way.
Who can participate
The call is open to any member (or friend) of SRUK able to capture any particular theme on a research field, including Mathematics, Biology, Medicine and Health, Chemistry, Ecology and Environmental Science, Physics, Astronomy, Engineering Technology, Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences and Science Communication.
- A single photograph per contestant is permitted.
- The photograph must have a clear research theme.
- In entering the Photography Competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win. SRUK may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the Photography Competition.
- The photograph can reflect any aspect of the research life, from experiments to the researcher’s daily routine.
- The photograph must not contain any element that could reveal the identity of the contestant, including signature.
- The photograph must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other Photography Competition.
- The photograph should be submitted as TIF or TIFF file, no larger than 25 MB and at least 300 dpi.
- Four-colour CMYK. The photograph can be submitted in full colour, black and white or grey-scale.
- No watermarks, signatures or borders included.
- Digital adjustments permitted (e.g. tone, contrast, cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, multiple-exposure taken at the same location over time). Any adjustment should not misrepresent the reality of nature.
- The addition or removal of objects/animals/plants/people is not allowed.
- The photograph must be accompanied by a title and a description of the research involved.
- The name of the file submitted should correspond with the title of the photograph.
How to participate
- The opening date for entries is 1st March 2020.
- The closing date of the contest is 30th of June 2020 at 23:59:59 (GMT). Entries received after this time will not be accepted.
- Any suitable photograph that you would like to submit for consideration, please send it together with the Participant Form completed by e-mail to [email protected]. (More information here)
- The Participant Form should include Name, Affiliation and Email of the contestant, Title of the photograph, a Caption (maximum 60 words) that describes the research behind the photograph, and the SRUK Constituency to which the participant belongs. The entry should be in English.
- The Photography Competition is free to enter, and no purchase is necessary.
- It is the responsibility of each contestant to ensure that the photograph they submit has been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws.
- SRUK reserves the right to refuse entry or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
- SRUK will not accept responsibility for entries that are lost, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause (e.g. as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, network, computer hardware or software failure of any kind).
Copyright and Reproduction
- Contestants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it. (Please note that we will not pay any charges to cover copyright).
- Contestants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit.
- By entering the competition contestants grant SRUK a non-exclusive licence to use, reproduce, and publish images entered into the competition for the purposes of publicising and promoting the competition in SRUK publications, website and social media channels. Contact us if you have any questions about the use of the images.
- Contestants whose photographs are shortlisted grant SRUK the right to publish and exhibit their photographs at awards public event(s) and to use the image(s) for generating a calendar with the 12 best photographs as part of our Society merchandising. They also agree to take part in post-competition publicity.
- SRUK will make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work. SRUK will try to ensure all images used by the media are credited to the photographer. Third parties will not be granted permission to use images for other purposes without express permission from the photographer.
Selection Criteria and Rewards
- The competition entries will be judged by an external panel of experts. They will shortlist 12 photographs, the best 4 from each of the following categories: originality and artistic character of the image, technique and quality of the photograph, and research communication conveyed by the photograph, title and description. Each photograph can only be selected in one of the categories. If a photograph is in the top 4 of two different categories, it will only be included in the one in which has the best mark.
- The shortlisted photographs will be announced in September 2020 at Investigación en Foco website and through SRUK social media. The shortlisted participants will also be contacted by email.
- The 12 shortlisted photographs will be displayed at the VIII SRUK International Symposium (Oxford, POSTPONED ) and in the Investigación en Foco website, and they will be used to produce a 2021 photo-calendar. The authors of these photographs will receive a copy of the calendar.
- The winners of each of the 3 categories (selected by the external panel of experts) and the winner selected by SRUK members and friends will be announced at the end of the Symposium (POSTPONED) and it will be published in the Investigación en Foco website and through SRUK social media (winner will also be contacted by email). All the 4 winners will be rewarded with £100 each. The winner selected by the attendees can be the winner of one of the 3 categories. In that case, the winner would be rewarded 2 prizes of £100 each.
- All the submitted photographs will only be used under the contestant’s permission for other SRUK publications or exhibitions.
Acceptance of the Rules
By participating in the I SRUK/CERU Investigación en Foco Photography Competition 2020, each contestant accepts to transfer for free to SRUK all intellectual property rights, except the right to be recognised as the author on the submitted photographs.
SRUK carries out the processing of personal data in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998/General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) www.ico.org.uk. You can access a copy of the SRUK Data Protection Policy at https://sruk.org.uk/legal-advice. You can ask us to stop contacting you and remove you from our databases at any time.
For further information, please contact [email protected].