Since the Brexit referendum of 2016, the future of research collaboration between the EU and the UK has been in a delicate situation as uncertainties and decisions made in the geopolitical context have eroded the trust and the relations across the channel. In September came the welcome news that the UK will associate to the Horizon Europe programme.
CONNECTS-UK (CONNecting European Communities Through Science in UK) was born out of the desire to bring together EU researchers’ diasporas in the UK. One of its main aims is the closing of the political gap between European science communities in order to nurture and strengthen collaborations.
In collaboration with Academia Europaea Cardiff Knowledge Hub, we invite you to join us for a half-day of lively discussion, debate, research highlights and networking.
- 11:00 – 11:10 Welcome
- Professor Ole Petersen CBE MAE FRS FLSW ML, Professor of Biosciences, Cardiff University and Director of the Academia Europaea Cardiff Knowledge Hub
- Professor Rudolf Allemann FLSW, Pro Vice-Chancellor International and Student Recruitment, Cardiff University
- 11:10 – 12:00 Panel 1: Challenges and opportunities of EU-UK cooperation (Chair: Professor Rudolf Allemann FLSW)
- ‘How do we operate effectively in the new EU-UK research landscape?’
- Professor Christopher Smith MAE, Executive Chair of the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and UKRI International Champion
- Jon Brookes, EU Advisor, UK Research Office, Brussels (UKRO)
- Dr Fabia Jones, First Counsellor, European Parliament Liaison Office in the United Kingdom
- Dr Niek Buurma, Senior Lecturer in Physical Organic Chemistry, Cardiff University
- 12:00 – 12:50 Transforming Europe through research
- This session will showcase research conducted by EU nationals or funded through EU programmes in Wales. Researchers from all career stages will be invited to share their work through short, TED-style talks or posters.
- 12:50 – 13:30 Lunch
- 13:30 – 14:15 Panel 2: Policy engagement in action (Chair: Professor Ole Petersen CBE MAE FRS FLSW)
- ‘What is policy engagement, why does it matter, and how can you be involved?’
- Sir Richard Catlow FRS FLSW ML MAE, Professor of Catalytic and Computational Chemistry, Cardiff University, Co-President Inter-Academy Partnerships (IAP)
- Professor Steve Martin, Director of the Wales Centre for Public Policy (WCPP), Professor of Public Policy & Management, Cardiff Business School
- Professor Hywel Thomas CBE FRS MAE, Professor of Civil Engineering and Director of the Geoenvironmental Research Centre, President of the Learned Society of Wales
- 14:15-15:00 Networking session
- The event will conclude with a networking session, facilitating connections and ideas-sharing.
This is a free and open event for researchers of all career stages.