The Society of Spanish Researchers in the United Kingdom (SRUK/CERU) is pleased to announce the launch of the fourth round of the
SRUK Summer Studentships-Call for UK Hosting Groups
These studentships will allow research groups in the UK to host and train junior researchers (undergraduate/master students) from Spanish Universities.
- SRUK supervisors (hosts) gain leadership skills and supervision skills, enriching CV with an Honorary Lecturer recognition (detailed info below).
- Spanish students strenghthen practical and language skills.
- Spanish and British Universities create new networks.
SRUK members at any stage of their career interested in hosting a summer student must apply before 7th March 2021.
- Up to 30 studentships
- Fields*: Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedicine, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Cellular Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Ecology, Environmental Science, Food Technology, Informatics, Physics, Mathematics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Nutrition.
- Duration: 2-6 months
- Period of the placements, from 1st of June to 31st of December 2021
- Resources: Funding for the mobility of the student will be available through Erasmus+ or other programmes. Funding for consumables or student fees will not always be available.
- Applicants may use the award to attract additional funding
*If you are interested in hosting students but you are outside of these areas of research, contact us.
- This grant is open to all SRUK/CERU members (regular or associate, students, junior or senior) that want to host summer students. Non-members can apply only after submitting their membership registration.
Matching of Students and Hosting Groups
- SRUK will check that applications for Hosting Group are complete.
- SRUK will send the applications to up to 3 participant Universities, depending on the Field of study or other requirements.
- Spanish Universities will pre assign one student to each relevant supervisor and keep a waiting list. The Spanish Universities will match the expertise and requirements from the supervisor (such as time of mobility, degree, experience requirements) with the academic level and predisposition of the students. The Spanish University will justify to supervisors and SRUK the reason for the match and the demand and waiting list of students to a given hosting group. The supervisor will have a chance to accept students under the waiting list.
- Supervisors will be offered up to 3 candidates (one from each University) in the first instance. This number can be higher if the Hosting Group offers more than one vacancy.
- Supervisors will have 10 days to interview the candidates prior to accepting one or more. Detailed dates of the process will be announced after the submission deadline. In the event of any disagreement with the pre-assignation, the University/SRUK will provide the contact of other students in the waiting list. The Spanish Universities and SRUK will manage the online interviews for the host and pre-selected students.
- Universities will arrange the final matching of candidates and supervisor and will communicate to the Hosting group and SRUK the final resolution.
- SRUK members willing to apply as Hosting Group supervisors must download and complete the following Application Form, and submit it with your CV (max 2 pages) as a single pdf file.
- Applications must be filled in English.
- Email your application for Hosting Group to [email protected] using the subject line “SRUK Summer Studentships 2021: Name of the applicant”.
The deadline for SRUK Summer Studentships 2020 – Call for Hosting Groups is Sunday 28th February 2021.
- The pre-assignation student-supervisor is designed to facilitate the management of the programme with the main objective to find the optimal match student-supervisor. This selection will be based on the academic criteria of the students and the selection experience from the Spanish Universities in this kind of programmes.
- We will offer all relevant Hosting Groups to the relevant participant Universities. This will guarantee the optimization of the resources.
- Spanish Universities involved in this call:
- Only the Universidad Francisco de Vitoria offers 400€ per month per student in concept of bench or administration fees that can be spent without restrictions.
- The students coming from UAM will be financed by the Erasmus+ programme.
- Students from UniZar may be financed privately or by the Erasmus+ programme depending on the stay dates.
- UK supervisors will be officially recognized by the Spanish Universities as Honorary Lecturers only in case this supervision includes ECTS credits for the students.
- The studentship from UFV is included in the official undergraduate programme (Actividades curriculares). The UFV will recognise officially this supervision.
- The students will be fully covered with insurance from Universities and/or European programmes.
- At the end of the studentship, SRUK Researchers (hosts) must complete a survey about their experience with the studentship. This feedback will be used by SRUK/CERU for improving next calls. Hosts may also be invited to participate in scientific outreach activities organised by SRUK/CERU, such as a Science in the Pub event, a Pint of Knowledge event or entries in the SRUK/CERU blog.
- Participants (students and hosts) may be invited and funded to attend a scientific symposium by the participant Spanish Universities in 2021/2022 (event to be confirmed).
- Watch a video of the I Closure Ceremony for students and supervisors at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
Do you have any questions? Please contact us at [email protected]k.